Who wants to drive a truck for a living? Those who are seriously interested have to first ask themselves: “Am I aware of all that is needed to be successful at driving a truck?” Most people can be successful when driving a truck for a living, but they have to make sure that they do it for the right reasons. In addition, they need to be fully aware of what it will mean to them and their families.
The majority of people driving a truck, as well as the ones who are considering this career right now, are doing it for the money. The biggest challenge is to make sure that their families support them being away from home for long periods. Many old hands will tell stories of how hard it is and how lonely it can get when driving a truck, but the positive side of it all is that it can be done. Those same old truck drivers will tell any newbie that it is a very fulfilling job and that they love the life on the road.
Before anybody starts driving a truck, they need to be aware of the pros and cons of this career, so that they can make an informed decision about their future in the business.
- The income potential when driving a truck is a huge attraction; that cannot be denied. Any new truck driver can expect to earn $30,000 to $50,000 a year, depending on whom he works for. Company drivers earn between $70,000 and $80,000 per year, while a team driver is able to earn over $100,000.
- There are numerous business opportunities. A truck driver can either work for a company or become an independent owner-driver, meaning that he will be working as a freelancer. Many truckers have expanded their business by buying extra trucks and hiring additional drivers to work for them.
- The training for driving a truck is usually cheap and at times it is even free.
- The lonely lifestyle can be a huge attraction for some individuals. It is only they, their truck, and the open road.
- Truck drivers instantly become part of a very large community, an extended family, where people are often willing to help and advise.
- Driving a truck allows you to travel all over the country and possibly beyond.
- The main disadvantage of driving a truck is being away from home often. It can be very hard on family life.
- A high turnover of drivers.
- It can be a dangerous job at times.
- Other people do not always respect individuals who drive truck for a living.
- Drivers tend to learn bad habits on the road, such as an unhealthy diet.
- For some it is depressing to be alone on the road for so long.
Those people that enter this industry without doing research first, without asking questions about the career, or discussing it with their family, are usually the ones that do not make it in the end. They are the ones that complain the most. It is essential for any new truck driver to make sure that this job is for them. Many truckers love what they do and most of them are proud of the money they are making and the work that they do, but you will find that these drivers started out in this business for the right reasons and in the right way.
Driving a truck can definitely be a very satisfying career choice, which offers many advantages as long as you realize beforehand what it will take to be successful in this job. With the right preparation and with a positive attitude towards the job, anything is possible. If you make a success when you drive truck, you will definitely make a good living and you will remain part of a very tight community that will always look out for each other.